July is a peak monsoon month in Nepal. Almost all the parts of the country see the monsoon rain except the rain shadow Himalayan areas. Trekking in Nepal in July is the best in rain-shadow areas of Nepal where you experience less or no rainfall during the year.
Simply, while you are planning a trek in Nepal, we recommend you to trek during the autumn or spring. But, it’s up to you when to trek.
July month has its own feature and significance. During this month, you can experience the real nature with greenery everywhere and soothing weather.
The water levels at the rivers are high enough to make your trails musical and the milky waterfalls in-front of you make you just “WOW”. Don’t get afraid with thunder-storms while trekking, it’s common during monsoon.
Weather Conditions during July in Nepal
The weather and climate during july in Nepal is humid, hot and wet.
The rainfall occurs mainly at night or the evenings while at day, it’s sunny and hot. So, the temperature at the lower altitudes may be high compared to high altitudes.
The average temperature in Kathmandu during the july is around 22-30 degree centigrade.
There may be occasional thunderstorm with the heavy rainfall in the evening or night. But, the morning is clear with green lush and spectacular mountain views.
The rainfall is high in Pokhara while Kathmandu receives average.
Landslides might be frequent in some parts of the trekking areas at Himalayas while in Terai region, there is risk of flood.
Best treks during July in Nepal
The recommended treks during July in Nepal are
- Upper Mustang Trek
- Annapurna Circuit Trek
- Rara Lake Trek
- Nar Phu Valley Trek
- Upper Dolpo Trek
- Humla Limi Valley Trek
Cost of trekking in July
If you are looking for budget trekking, you can go trekking in july. July is the off-season time of the year so the hotels, restaurants, Vehicle Company and the airlines may offer you the discounts.
You may ask for the discounts at the city areas but at higher altitudes, the trekking cost may be high due to the less availability of teahouses and food items.
Don’t ask for the discounts if people are offering you the services with difficulties.
Accommodation during July
The accommodation during trekking in Nepal in july is teahouses. But at higher altitudes like Upper Dolpo, Humla, you might need to stay at tent or camp. The lights during the july may cut frequently so you may feel hot at lower altitudes. The accommodation may not be busy and easily can get room at regular trekking routes. Some teahouses will be closed due to heavy monsoon and off season.
Festivals and Events
There are not such major festivals and events during July in Nepal. But, you can explore the local festivals and events while traveling to villages during the trekking.
What to do in July other than trekking?
Nepal is an adventure destination and offers lots of activities to do. But, few activities are only best during July in Nepal.
- Everest Mountain Flight
- White Water River Rafting
- Bungee Jumping
- Wildlife Safari
- Bird Watching
- Yoga and Meditation
- Volunteering in farms, schools, hospitals.
- Mountain Biking
- Rock Climbing
- Short hiking
- Village Tour
Advantages of trekking in Nepal in July
The main advantages of trekking in Nepal in July are the lonely trail, greenery bushy surrounding, cool air, blooming wild flowers and clear morning.
Here are some other lists of advantages of hiking in July
- There will be the fewer trekkers en-route the trekking so you find the teahouses easily.
- You can enjoy the hotel or teahouse service alone; there might be no one to share.
- The soothing sounds of the rain make your sleep better.
- You can observe the agricultural works in the villages.
- There are some interesting festivals that you may like to enjoy.
Disadvantages of trekking in Nepal in July
- During the monsoon, the trekking trails are muddy and slippery. You must be careful while trekking these slippery trails.
- Leeches throughout the forest area might be problem for trekking when it is raining. You can carry some salt pouches and chewing tobacco for the prevention.
- Landslides are dangerous on the trails. Walk slowly or take a look at the board where the dangerous sign is places on the trail. Do not stop for a photo at the landslide areas.
- Some teahouse may be closed so always ask your guide to be connected with the teahouse owner and confirm about it.
- Some foods that you may like might not be available all the time.
- The regular flights may be disrupt or cancelled, you might to use the road vehicles. In addition, sometimes the roads can be blocked by landslides. You may need to stay a long time on the traffic jam caused by road obstacle.
Although trekking in Nepal in July is not so recommended, you can go hiking in July in Nepal Himalayas.
Hiking in Nepal in July is challenging but you can experience a different taste of Himalayas during this time. July is the wettest month of the year with high risk of landslides, rain, leeches and slippery route.
We just suggest you to trek in rain-shadow areas of Nepal for experiencing the mysterious culture and natural abundance.
Besides the hiking, you can go yoga and meditation in the Himalayas and volunteering in mountain villages.
Chitwan, Pokhara, Kathmandu and Annapurna areas are the best places to visit during July in Nepal.
You can experience the mud festival in Terai region and some hilly areas. Take part in rice plantation and enjoy the Dahi Chiura (the beaten rice and curd).
Finally, experience the monsoon trekking in Nepal in July 2022 with Treksbooking.com.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, hiking in Nepal in July is doable. But, we recommend you to trek in rain-shadow areas.
Yes, July a good time to Visit Nepal. Visiting to the cities and villages of Terai is memorable.
The teahouses on the main trekking routes remain open while at higher altitudes, there might be less teahouses open.
It depends upon the weather and climate when to rain. Sometimes, it may rain all the day but most of time, rain occurs at night or late evenings.