Trekking in Nepal in September is the good for excellent weather, cool temperature and spectacular mountain views.
Nepal in September
September is the beginning month of the peak trekking season, autumn season. September marks the end of monsoon season, hot humid summer time and clear skies with cool environment. The green lush valley, rice terraced fields and beautiful panorama of Himalayas will be glorious after monsoon and before snowfall.
Trekking in Himalayas will be awesome during September. You will spend your quality time during your trekking holidays and enjoy the fantastic landscapes.
- Starting month of peak season, Autumn Season.
- Fewer crowds compared to other trekking months, October and November.
- Food, Accommodation, Transportation and flights can be found easily.
- Best Himalayan views, green terrains, rice terraced fields, colorful flowers and festive environment.
- Exciting scenes of natural waterfalls.
- Moderate temperature, excellent views and clear skies.
Festivals and Events in September 2019
|Hartalika Teej||2nd September 2019|
|Indra Jatra||13th September 2019|
|Constitution Day||20th September 2019|
|World Tourism Day||27th September 2019|
|Dashain||29th September 2019 (Ghatasthapana)|
September Trekking Highlights
- Fewer tourists on the trail
- Warm weather at lower altitudes
- Best for snow activities like snowboarding, skiing, playing snow
- Best time for photography, mountain views
- Availability of hotel rooms and good attention at tea houses.
- Nepali street cultural festival, New Year
September Trekking Tips
- Plan your trekking from mid of the month.
- There will be the chance of rainfall in early September. So, try the higher altitude treks.
- Drink a lot of water.
- During trekking, you may get dehydrated. So, drink plenty of water and soups during trekking.
- Bring light rain gear and a good hiking boots.
- Be aware of altitude sickness.
- Book your trekking before you commence for trekking.
- Trek to high altitude treks above 3500m.
Treks to Consider during September in Nepal
You can trek to some popular trekking trails like Everest Base Camp, Annapurna Circuit, Annapurna Base Camp, Langtang Valley, Upper Mustang, Manaslu Circuit, Poon Hill at no risk. These treks can be done from mid of the September. The tea house will be open in September.
What are the pros and cons of trekking Nepal in September?
Pros: It usually rains during the night in September, meaning, by morning time you’ll find fresh and clear skies.
The weather is very mild in the mountainous region; it’s not very cold during the night and not too hot in the day.
Compared to October, the track will be much less busy, giving you the opportunity to fully enjoy a less crowded trail.
Cons: The major drawback of Nepal trekking in September is the mud-splattered trails and potential delays. During the wet seasons, the trekking routes are stymied by landslides and rock falls.
It is clear at higher altitudes; however, the lower grounds are covered with the mist and rain clouds. This will obstruct your view of the mountains.
What is the weather be like in September for Trekking in Nepal?
- Average Temperature – 22 Degree Celsius
- Maximum Temperature – 27 Degree Celsius
- Minimum Temperature – 17 Degree Celsius
- Sunshine Hour – 8 Hrs.
- Rainfall in mm – 175
- Average Rainfall Days – 12
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, September is the good time to visit Nepal. A good time after the monsoon starts from September. Sometimes, till to the mid of this month, there might be the rainfall but after that weather will be perfect for mountain views. We recommend highly to plan your trekking holidays in Nepal in September.
September is the ending month of monsoon in Nepal. But, for few days, it may rain not all the time. The average daily temperatures are around 24°C, reaching highs of 27°C and dropping to an average minimum temperature of 18°C.
Besides trekking, there are many things to do in Nepal in September. As this is good season for tourism activities, you can do
Tours and Sightseeing
Hindu festival tour
Wildlife safari tour
Pashupatinath Temple Tour
Teej Festival Tour
Volunteering and Community Help
Almost all the trekking destinations from easy to challenging trekking routes are best in September. The popular trekking routes are crowded by the trekkers in this month.
You can wear a variety of clothes in Nepal such as fleece, T-shirts, windbreaker, sport pants, lightweight pants, gloves, and hat. Rain gear is a must if you are traveling on the first week of this month.