December is the first month of winter season after beautiful autumn season. Trekking in Nepal in December is still doable and best month to experience culture and mountains.
The weather and climate on the first two weeks of December are good enough to have clear mountain views. From late December to till February, the days are dry, clear and sunny. But, expect snowfall in high altitude mountain area during December.
Trekking during December is possible and will be excellent on whole month. You can trek to popular trekking areas on the first two weeks of December. But, after first half of the month, the snow starts to fall heavily on higher altitudes above 4500m. So, trekking to low altitudes is wiser.
December Trekking Tips
- Dress in layers – As you rise up, the temperature goes down so bring warmer cloths. The weather changes frequently in Mountains so be careful about winter winds.
- Bring some warm fleece, jacket, socks, cap and good trekking shoes.
- Always hike with a registered guide, he/she will be your friend in need. In Mountain area anything can happen. Save yourself from the risk of winter season.
- Bring a good camera, the weather is good to view Mountains and landscapes.
- Go trekking to high passes or high altitudes on the first half of December.
- Always consider low altitude treks and hikes if you are Trekking in Nepal for the first time.
- Drink plenty of water, eat warm food.
Also Read: Winter Trekking in Nepal
Treks to Consider during December in Nepal
- Everest View Trek in December
- Poon Hill Trek in December
- Langtang Valley Trek in December
- Chitwan Chepang Hill Trek in December
- Around Kathmandu Trek in December
- Pikey Peak Trek in December
- Ghandruk Trek in December
- Mardi Himal Trek in December
If you are planning a trek during December in Nepal, you may consider low altitude treks below 4200m. Trekking to Base Camp or high passes are not highly recommended during December. Here are some treks that are best for cultural and natural experience.
Other Winter Trekking Months
Recommended Equipment Lists for December Trekking
- Duffel or Rucksack Bag
- Down jacket
- Sleeping bag
- Sun hat or scarf
- Light balaclava or warm fleece hat
- Sunglasses with UV protection
What to Wear in Nepal in December?
- Thin, lightweight inner socks
- Thick, warm wool hiking socks
- Hiking boots with spare laces
- Camp shoes (sneakers/sandals)
- Gaiters for hiking in winter
- Lightweight gloves
- Heavyweight gloves or mittens
- Waterproof shell outer
- Under Garments
- Lightweight cotton long pants
- Light and expedition weight thermal bottoms
- Fleece or wool pants
- Waterproof shell pants (preferably breathable fabric)
- Light and expedition weight thermal tops
- Fleece jacket or pullover
- Fleece Wind-Stopper Jacket
- Waterproof shell Jacket
- Sleeping bag rated to zero degrees
- Headlamp with spare bulbs and batteries
- Trekking Bags/Duffel bag
- Basic First Aid Kit
- Large plastic bags- for keeping items dry inside trekking bag
- Day pack
- Trekking poles
- Water bottles
- Ear plug (optional if you can’t sleep listening to snores of your group members)
Toiletries and Personal Hygiene
- Quick drying towel
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Multipurpose soap/ hand wash
- Face and Body Moisturizer
- Wet wipes
- Tissue / Toilet roll
- Anti-bacterial hands wash
- Feminine Hygiene products
Extra / Luxuries (Optional)
- Trail Map/ Guide Book
- Sleeping bag liner
- Pillow case
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The weather and temperature varies place to place in Nepal. The climate at low elevations is warmer during December whereas at higher altitude, it may be cool. You experience a great variation of weather during your trekking holidays in Nepal in December. Generally, the temperature of Kathmandu remains 2 degree Celsius to 12 degree Celsius in average. But, at higher altitudes, it may fall to zero degrees.
As this is colder season, so bring the warmer cloths comfortable to wear. But, during the day, it may be warm so a trouser, trekking shorts will be good. During the night, wear warm fleece, longer trousers and jacket. Bring warm sleeping bag even though most of the tea houses offer blankets.
Yes, trekking accommodations during December will be open on the trekking trail. But, due to heavy snowfall by the end of the December, some tea houses remain closed at higher elevations above 5000m. Always consult your guide for pre-booking of tea-house and be confident.
Yes, trekking permits and Tims are available during December. You can get permits from Kathmandu and Pokhara.
Yes, travel insurance is highly recommended while trekking in Nepal. We don’t know where and when what happens, so we should be careful about the precautions during trekking. So, for your safety and claiming, if anything happened, you should have travel insurance.
The weather during December is settled and clear for mountain views. So, apart of chilling cold, Trekking in Nepal in December will be excellent.
You will have choices for trekking routes, availability of tea-houses is about 100% (in lower altitudes), chances of discounts on air-fare, transportation, hotel rooms and foods on restaurants. So, you can consider December for trekking in Nepal for budget trip.
We recommend you to trek in low altitude trekking destinations for safety. Trekking with a guide or registered trekking agency will be better option for risk free holiday.
Note: The weather in the Himalayas can not be predictable so flights my change on its schedule or delay. Keep in touch with us for the updates and trip planning during December in Nepal.
For winter trekking in Nepal, contact us or ask an expert for further information. You can contact us through contact form.