Nepal in January
Are you planning for a trek and in January? Do you want to know more information about January Trekking in Nepal? Here are the tips for you planning at trek in Nepal in January.
January is the mid of winter season. The cool weather with the snowfall in higher altitudes is common during January. So, trekking to higher altitudes in January in Nepal might be risk. But, you can do short and easy treks below 4000m.
With the crystal clear and sunny days, trekking in Nepal in December is doable. It is the best time for photographers and snow enthusiasts. The temperature at lower altitude is good to trek but winter trekking gears is highly recommended.
Discounts on January
As January is the off-season month of the year, you might get discounts on trips, hotel room booking, transportation hiring and flight tickets. Many trekking agencies offer discounts during winter season.
Festivals on January (January – Push – Magh)
- Maghe Sankranti (January 15th – Magh 1)
Happy New Year (1st January)
Prithivi Jayanti (National Unity Day) 11th January
Martyrs Day (30th January – Magh 16th)
January Trekking Highlights
- Fewer tourists on the trail
- Warm weather at lower altitudes
- Best for snow activities like snowboarding, skiing, playing snow
- Best time for photography, mountain views
- Availability of hotel rooms and good attention at tea houses.
- Nepali street cultural festival, New Year
January Trekking Tips
- Bring warm cloths, warm sleeping bags, winter trekking gears
- Be updated about the weather condition to avoid risk from bad weather
- Be hydrated, carry a bottle of water during trekking
- Hire a trekking guide for safety trekking
- Prepare for some extra days on your schedule
Treks to Consider during January in Nepal
- Poon Hill Trek
- Kathmandu Valley Trek
- Pikey Peak Trek
- Mardi Himal Trek
- Australian Camp Trek
- Ghandruk Trek
- Everest View Trek
- Dhampus Sarangkot Trek
- Nagarkot Dhulikhel Namobuddha Hiking